Skip to main content

Are you a GP based in Hong Kong or Malaysia holding the ICFRACGP qualification and are looking to move to Australia?


Both Hong Kong and Malaysia have conjoint pathways with the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. Therefore, if you are one of these GPs who have been awarded FRACGP overseas, then working in Australia is much simpler for you. However, this easier pathway may not always be available.

Currently the ICFRACGP qualification is considerably comparable and GPs holding this qualification are being assessed as Substantially or Partially comparable under the PEP Specialist Stream (depending on other factors such as work experience). The current memorandum of understanding between the RACGP and the Academy of Family Physicians of Malaysia/ Hong Kong College of Family Physicians is due to expire on the 11 October 2023!

This means that holders of the ICFRACGP qualification may not be automatically eligible to be assessed as substantially comparable.

We hope that there may be a new memorandum of understanding or an extension however this is not guaranteed. If you are thinking about moving to Australia, the best time to start this process is now to ensure you can get here on the easiest pathway.

Where can ICFRACGP doctors work in Australia?

To work in Australia under the PEP specialist Stream and to get a visa, you will need to work within a Distribution Priority Area.

We get a lot of enquiries from GPs about a move to Australia, but unfortunately due to these restrictions, we need to be realistic about where you will be allowed to work.

You can view more of this information on the Health Workforce Locator.

Interested in moving?

If you are a GP and want to move to Australia, please feel free to contact us for a confidential discussion and one of our consultants will be in touch.