Find the perfect GP job today in Melbourne
As a premiere GP recruitment agency in Australia, Alecto specialises in assisting general practitioners find the best jobs. We have a team of experienced consultants who can help you navigate the job market and find opportunities that match your skills, interests, and preferences.
To assist GPs in finding the best GP jobs in Melbourne, Alecto offers the following services:
- Job search
- Application assistance
- Interview preparation
- Contract negotiation
- Registration/Compliance Assistance
- Ongoing support
Melbourne is a large city with a diverse range of healthcare services, so there are many areas where general practitioners (GPs) can find job opportunities. Some of the best areas for finding GP vacancies
in Melbourne, Australia, include:
- Inner suburbs: Inner suburbs such as Richmond, Carlton, Fitzroy, and South Melbourne are popular locations for GP practices. These areas are typically close to hospitals, medical centres, and other healthcare services, which can provide GPs with a steady stream of patients.
- Outer suburbs: Outer suburbs such as Cranbourne, Werribee, and Sunbury are also areas where there is a high demand for GPs. These areas often have growing populations and a need for healthcare services to support this growth.
- Specialist clinics: GPs can also find job opportunities in specialist clinics such as skin clinics, women’s health clinics, and mental health clinics. These clinics often have a high demand for GPs with specialised skills and experience.
- Telehealth: With the increasing use of telehealth services, GPs can also find job opportunities in this area. Telehealth companies and platforms often require GPs to provide remote consultations to patients, which can be done from anywhere with an internet connection.
It’s worth noting that job opportunities for GPs can vary depending on factors, such as your desired location, experience, and qualifications. Working with a medical recruitment agency such as Alecto can help GPs find job opportunities that match their skills and preferences
The time it takes to find an attractive GP job in Melbourne through Alecto can vary depending on various factors, such as:
- Your qualifications and experience
- The specific job requirements
- Possible restrictions, such as 19AB
- The current job market conditions
GPs are in high demand in Melbourne and around Australia, therefore finding the perfect GP position tends to be relatively easy. While Alecto strives to find job opportunities for GPs as quickly as possible, the exact timeframe will depend on individual circumstances.
It’s important for you to work closely with your Alecto consultant. Make sure you provide us with detailed, verifiable information about your skills, experience, and job preferences to help expedite the recruitment process
The earnings of a general practitioner (GP) in Melbourne can vary depending on various factors such as their level of experience, the type of practice (bulk or mixed-billing) they work in, the number of hours they work, and other factors.
Based on Alecto’s latest GP salary survey (December 2021), the average annual salary in Australia is $253,000 for general practitioners who work 7 or more sessions per week (full-time).
The annual salary for part-time general practitioners working 6 sessions or less per week amounts to an average of $194,000 per year.
It’s worth noting that the above figures are averages and may not be representative of all GPs in Melbourne. Some GPs may earn more or less than this amount depending on their specific circumstances.
Work with a GP recruitment agency like Alecto ensures you have the opportunity to negotiate a salary that’s fair and reflective of your experience and qualifications.
Yes, Alecto can also help you find a locum GP job in Melbourne since we specialise in medical recruitment for both permanent and locum positions.
We can assist you with finding job opportunities that match your preferences, whether you’re looking for a short-term locum placement or a long-term position.
To find GP locum jobs through Alecto, you can speak to one of our experienced consultants who will work with you to identify job opportunities that match your skills, experience, and availability. They will also provide support with job applications, interviews, and contract negotiation, to ensure that you secure a position that meets your needs and preferences
Overseas trained doctors (OTDs) in Melbourne can work in a variety of healthcare settings, including public hospitals, private hospitals, community health centres, general practices, and specialist clinics.
However, before OTDs can work in Melbourne, they must obtain the necessary medical registration and meet the requirements set by the Australian Medical Council (AMC), this also includes restrictions on the locations OTDs can work in during their first 10 years in Australia under the 10 year moratorium rule.
Once OTDs have obtained medical registration, they can work in various specialties and subspecialties, depending on their qualifications and experience. Some common areas where OTDs can work in Melbourne include:
- General practice: OTDs with experience in general practice can work in a variety of settings, including private practices, community health centres, and bulk-billing clinics.
- Hospital medicine: OTDs can work in public and private hospitals in Melbourne in a range of medical specialties, such as emergency medicine, intensive care, and oncology.
- Specialist clinics: OTDs with specialised training and experience can work in specialist clinics, such as dermatology clinics, women’s health clinics, and mental health clinics.
Rural and remote areas: OTDs can also work in rural and remote areas (including distribution priority areas or DPAs) of Victoria, where there is often a shortage of medical professionals. These places may offer unique opportunities to work in community health centres, indigenous health services, and remote clinical practice
Yes, there are some restrictions that overseas trained doctors (OTDs) may face when looking for GP jobs in Australia. These restrictions are put in place to ensure that OTDs meet the necessary standards of competence and professionalism required to practise medicine in Australia.
Some of the key restrictions include:
- Medical registration: Before OTDs can work as GPs in Melbourne, they must obtain medical registration from the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). This process can take some time and requires OTDs to meet certain eligibility criteria, including having completed an approved medical degree and having the necessary experience and qualifications.
- English language proficiency: OTDs must also demonstrate proficiency in the English language to obtain medical registration. This typically involves passing an English language proficiency test such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Occupational English Test (OET).
- Supervision requirements: OTDs may be required to work under supervision for a period of time before being granted full medical registration. This is to ensure that they have the necessary skills and knowledge to practise medicine in Australia.
- Visa requirements: OTDs must also have the necessary visa to work in Australia. This may require obtaining a temporary work visa or permanent residency, depending on their circumstances.
- Section 19AB restrictions: International medical graduates (IMGs) – which specifically refers to OTDs and foreign graduates of an accredited medical school (FGAMS) – who plan to build a career in general practice in Australia are restricted by Section 19AB of the Health Insurance Act of 1973, which imposes a 10-year moratorium on them. General practitioners must work in a distribution priority area (DPA) for ten years. DPAs are areas with a shortage of doctors, mainly in regional, rural and remote regions.
Under Section 19AB, there are also numerous categories of exemptions from the 10-year moratorium. These are embodied in the 19AB exemptions. We can help you check if you meet specific conditions that may qualify you for an exemption.
Yes, Alecto can assist overseas trained doctors (OTDs) with visas and immigration to Australia. We have migration agency partners who can provide guidance and support throughout the visa and immigration process, including:
- Visa eligibility
- Visa application
- Visa processing
- Immigration support
It’s worth noting that the visa and immigration process can be complex and time-consuming, and requirements may vary depending on individual circumstances.
Want to talk about your job options in Australia?
Leave your details and one of our consultants will contact you.
"*" indicates required fields
At Alecto Australia, we are committed to finding GP jobs that suit your individual preferences and needs. Because we specialise in sourcing the best GP jobs for the best GPs, we have access to the largest number of permanent GP jobs in Australia.
“I found you genuine, kind & highly motivated & proactive. You did your best to understand what I wanted and came up with lots of options and suggestions tailored to my liking, which helped me pick exactly what I wanted. You were also crystal clear in defining what you can adv on & what you are not comfortable advising. You were good in foreseeing the events during the paperwork stages and helped me prepare for them. You were very prompt in replying to my queries. To put it in a nutshell I was convinced you would land my dream job the very 1st time I met you in Melbourne. Thanks for your kind help. I had a lovely experience with Alecto and was able to find the job of my dreams! Couldn’t have done it without them.”Dr GopiQueensland
“I’m very happy that I initially contacted you to guide me through the whole process of finding and starting GP work in the Northern Territory, Australia. I experienced a very personal and informative service from everyone involved, and was guided through the process of registration step-by-step. This made the whole thing a lot less stressful and daunting. Prompt email responses, informative written material and even a welcome phone call on arrival were signs of a high class service. I would certainly recommend and use the company again. Many thanks.” I had a lovely experience with Alecto and was able to find the job of my dreams! Couldn’t have done it without them.”Dr NirdushanDarwin
“Working with Monique and Martina in Australia, (UK GP applying from New Zealand) made the laborious and pedantic process of applying for GP Fellowship and Australian registration much easier than trying to do this alone. It was still a long process but the team helped every step of the way, and were happy to liaise with the AMC, RACGP or AHPRA when needed.They worked hard to secure a good GP position for me, and overall I highly recommend and thank them for all their help in the process of relocating to Australia as a GP.”Dr UrsulaBrisbane
“I would strongly recommend Alecto to GPs and other relevant health professionals contemplating a move to Australia. After having contacted at least five different agencies dealing with GPs relocating from the UK to Australia, Alecto took the top spot in terms of understanding my requirements especially with the type of position my wife and I were looking for, the workings of the Australian Health Care, the paperwork involved, Immigration requirements, adjusting to the Aussie lifestyle, etc. Their consistent help throughout the 10-12 month period prior to the move is definitely worth mentioning. They helped us settle on arrival in Australia and made our relocation process a smooth transition, especially as we had no prior local contacts. Now in Australia for a year I could not have entrusted my relocation to a better team. I would give them a 10/10 and wish them immense success in the future.”Dr DylanPerth
“We are currently in Brisbane working, living and enjoying the ‘dream’. This road, which involved a fair amount of paperwork and lots of questions about the different applications, i.e. AMC/RACGP/AHPRA, would not have been possible without your knowledge and experience. Martina, and particularly Lynn, were also invaluable in the whole process. To have all of you answer the numerous questions I had all the way through the application process, no matter how trivial, was incredibly helpful. Can’t recommend the service provided high enough. Thanks to all.”Dr SivBrisbane
“I am very grateful to Alecto who helped me secure a GP position in Melbourne. I found their dealings very professional and it was a pleasure speaking to Martina who understood our needs perfectly and suited me with the right position. I would highly recommend Alecto and advise all prospective GPs who are looking for a GP position in Australia to contact Alecto first and speak to Martina its director.”Dr SyedMelbourne
“Martina and her team made looking for a new job in Melbourne an insightful process. Martina teased out my career aims, offered me appropriate options then navigated me through the process. I am now settled in my new post and still have occasion contact from the Alecto team to check up on how it is all going. Thanks!”Dr LauraVictoria
“I enjoyed the whole experience with Alecto, engaging with Martina, how it enabled me to recognise those things that I am already doing and encouraged me to continue exploring new workplace in Melbourne. The whole service is really client focused and full of hope and they will find their best way to fulfil my criteria. Thanks Martina and Alecto!”Dr ShahVictoria
“I just wanted to thank you for finding me the perfect job. As I had already worked in WA I had a pretty good idea of where I wanted to be in Perth. However when I applied for an advertised job you went out of your way to find another position for me exactly where I wanted to live. I am now working the hours I want in a supportive practice, close to both my home and kids’ school. It has definitely been a good move.”Dr PennyPerth