Location is a key factor for earning potential of GPs. GPs earn differently to other professions – looking for a price comparison? A GP in a metropolitan area on average will earn $220,000 per year, whereas a GP working in a rural area will make on average $300,000 per year.
Here is some information that you might find surprising:
Best Areas to Work in:
- The best areas for attractive GP Jobs are the western suburbs of Melbourne. GPs earn more in the West than anywhere else! GPs in these areas earn 50% more than the average doctor in other parts of the city. Most of these are Bulk Billing practices, but you can earn more than a private clinic which will be a surprise to many!
- The western suburbs are not as far away as many assume. The suburbs all have great freeway access so many of our GPs live in the CBD and commute 20-30 minutes to work in the morning!
- Very remote rural areas come with various incentives and benefits which mean you will earn more and have a more interesting patient mix
The Hardest areas to work in:
- Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne – There is an oversupply of GPs in these areas. While clinics still advertise vacancies, it is unlikely that you will be able to get a full patient load quickly unless you take over from an existing GP. There is too much choice for patients and they don’t hesitate to change to another clinic down the road
This information may be a surprise to many GPs however at Alecto we are experts in the sector and can speak to you about the concerns or questions you may have. All states have the best and hardest areas for GPs to work within, if you want to know more about other states, speak to one of our consultants today! We have many great vacancies available, to view our current opportunities please search our vacancies.
- Australian GPs
- Clinic Owners and Practice Managers
- Salary Page
- UK/Ireland GPs
- Working with Alecto